We have an opening for an energetic, skillful Assistant Director of Development to join an established mission-driven organization. This is an exciting opportunity for a highly qualified front line fundraiser to grow the most significant area of organizational revenue by building meaningful relationships with donors and prospects, cultivating and engaging supporters, and driving ideas to completion.
NAMI (the National Alliance on Mental Illness) is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization, dedicated to improving the lives of the millions of Americans affected by mental illness. Since NAMI’s beginning in 1979, we have established ourselves through dedication, commitment and unceasing belief in our mission to strengthen communities and help those in need. The heart of NAMI is our unrivaled grassroots network of volunteers in communities across the nation. Through our united support, education, advocacy and awareness efforts, NAMI is at the forefront of mental health issues, a recognized force in urging new ideas and solutions to improve lives.
The Assistant Director of Development is responsible for overseeing fundraising activities that meet the individual donor revenue goals for the organization. This is done by directing and executing strategies to grow the direct marketing program and ensuring that development operations are aligned with fundraising objectives. The Assistant Director will also implement a major donor upgrade program and personally manage portfolio of major donors. S/he reports to the National Director of Development and is a member of the NAMI Strategic Alliances and Development team.
Location: NAMI Headquarters, Arlington, VA
Travel: up to 25%
Reports To: National Director of Development
- Directs and executes a comprehensive direct marketing plan that supports specific and measurable fundraising outcomes.
- Provides daily direction and management of the development team’s operations by ensuring appropriate systems, processes and procedures are in place to support fundraising goals
- Manages a portfolio of major donors and prospects. This involves strategic cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors who make five gifts.
- Travels extensively to meet with donors and prospects
- Writes proposals, reports and other donor materials
- Develops and oversees a major gifts program to grow the base of individual donors and upgrade their levels of support
- Provides high level support to CEO by offering sound strategy, staffing calls and meetings and performing follow up
- Oversees an external fundraising agency and the Development Manager to execute the direct marketing program
- Plans and implements major donor events and functions
- Shapes and influences donor stewardship and recognition activities with particular emphasis on onboarding new and major donors
- Works closely with program staff to thoroughly understand and expertly articulate NAMI’s mission, vision and priorities to donors and prospects
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Five to seven years’ experience with non-profit organizations in a front line fundraising role
- Minimum three years supervisory experience
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong organizational skills and detail oriented
- Ability to respond quickly and effectively to challenges, requiring at times mentoring or problem solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage time, multiple projects and competing priorities
- Proven ability to manage budgets effectively
- B.A. or B.S. degree in related field.
Must pass background check.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V