• In collaboration with the Senior Director of Communications, ensures effective communications and public relations efforts related to local, regional and national programmatic initiatives and special events
• Identifies opportunities and assists team in generating media coverage for the organization
• Works with Senior Director on media relations strategies and implementation; works with external PR agencies to coordinate media outreach efforts
• Collaborates with other team members, including marketing, government relations and online services, to ensure consistent strategy and messaging throughout all communications and marketing vehicles
• Writes and edits copy for press releases, blog, media kits, newsletters and corporate publications, ensuring high quality content is produced on deadline
• Develops social media copy for AKF news, blog posts and events
• Coordinates and develops feature articles, interviews, presentations, and other public relations activities that promote awareness of AKF and its programs
• Communicates and actively engages with kidney patients, medical professionals, and others in order to maintain a database of individuals who are available to speak to the media
• Identifies topics and potential contributors outside AKF for Kidney Today blog; secures outside contributions.
• Evaluates the efficiency of public relations activities by tracking engagement metrics, feedback and responses, providing regular reports to management
• Collaborates with Marketing staff and other relevant team members to ensure consistent strategy and messaging throughout all communications vehicles
• Scans relevant health care news to provide a daily industry news intelligence report to AKF staff, management and board
• Develops and maintains media lists
• Monitors news outlets and maintains press clippings
• Reviews and contributes to grant proposals to ensure accurate AKF messaging
• Other related duties as assigned
• Some travel required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
College degree, preferably in journalism, communications or public relations, and 4 or more years of progressively responsible experience in handling media, public relations and general communications for a nonprofit or for-profit organization; proven track record of garnering media placements; familiarity with health media; excellent writing, editing, proofreading and communication skills; proficiency in MS Office; well-organized and detail-oriented; able to work effectively within a team framework as well as independently. Successful candidate will have a proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects, meet deadlines, and produce outstanding results in a fast-paced nonprofit environment with limited resources. Ability to handle confidential matters with a high level of integrity. Must have excellent interpersonal skills.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements for consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for a position with the American Kidney Fund, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
No unsolicited agency referrals, please. No phone calls please