The National Skills Coalition is a broad-based network of leaders (business, labor, educators, advocates, et.al.) who want America to grow its economy by investing in its people, so that every worker and every industry has the skills to compete and prosper. A greater diversity of Americans will have access to a better life, and a greater diversity of U.S. businesses will see growth, if job-driven, skills-based training is a more central part of our nation’s workforce, education, economic and anti-poverty policies. With an annual budget of $4.5M and a staff of 25, we engage in coalition-building, analysis, technical assistance, communications and advocacy to advance state and federal policies informed by the partnerships and expertise of our members. NSC’s national advocacy network draws from over 35 states, including several national initiatives as well as more than 20 active state coalitions.
The CFAO is a new position and will report to our Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The CFAO will serve as a member of NSC’s Executive Team along with its Chief of Staff and Development Director. He/she will provide input into the organization’s strategic direction from an operational and financial perspective, working directly with the CEO to ensure the long-term fiscal stability and operational efficiency of our organization. This includes implementation of systems for financial management, accounting, human resources, and information management. The CFAO will also work with the Board of Directors to ensure the NSC’s long-term financial stability. The CFAO will supervise three staff across accounting, book-keeping and administration functions.
This position is based in Washington, DC.
We are looking for someone with:
- A deep understanding of financial management and accounting in grant-driven nonprofit organizations;
- The ability and desire to develop efficient financial and operations systems that can support the work of our policy experts and organizing staff;
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills, including a desire to be part of a highly interactive, strategic, and dynamic team;
- A relentless attention to detail, with exceptional organization and time-management practices; and
- A passion for NSC’s mission to promote greater economic opportunity for a range of students and workers in this country.
- Financial Management: Work with Executive Team on budgeting and forecasting. Oversee preparation of monthly and quarterly financial reports for presentation to CEO and Board.
- Grants Management: Assist Executive Team, development team and senior staff in developing foundation grant budgets. Ensure accurate allocation of expenses and reporting on individual grants and preparation of financial reports for funders.
- Accounting: Supervise accounting and book-keeping staff. Oversee maintenance of all accounts, ledgers, and transactions to ensure compliance with GAAP. Ensure proper preparation of payroll, personnel records and benefits. Manage annual audit.
- Human Resources: Conduct annual benefits review in coordination with benefits broker. Oversee benefits enrollment and termination. Support maintenance of personnel policies. Work with Executive Team to coordinate hiring and on-boarding processes.
- Office Operations: Supervise administrative staff in support of program staff and maintenance of office space. Maintain landlord and sublessee relationships. Oversee staff management of IT contract support, and assess needs for IT system improvements.
- Information Management: Work with Executive Team to improve systems for file management, project management, constituent management, and time/expense reporting.
- Legal Issues: Review all contracts. Manage relationship with outside counsel.
- Bachelor’s degree, and at least 10 years of experience in financial management and administration. Additional formal training in accounting, financial management or business administration is a plus.
- Experience in accounting for nonprofit sector or small business is preferred, and a strong understanding of grants management is required.
- Excellent understanding of accounting systems, including strong proficiency in Excel and QuickBooks.
- Experience in implementing or overseeing the development of various types of operational systems (HR, information management, etc.).
- Track record of being an effective and empowering supervisor of staff and outside consultants.
- Desire to be part of a small pro-active team that highly values collaboration.
Compensation: Competitive salary. Excellent benefits package, including employer-paid health and dental, retirement plan, life and disability insurance and generous vacation policy.
To Apply: Please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: NSC – CFAO. No phone calls please.