United We Dream is the largest immigrant youth-led organization in the country. We create welcoming spaces for young people – regardless of immigration status – to support, engage, and empower them to make their voice heard and win!
With a monthly online reach of 4 million, more than 300,000 members as well as 48 affiliates in 26 states, UWD is made up of fearless youth fighting to improve the lives of our members and their families. Our vision is a society which celebrates our diversity and believes in a multiethnic, intersectional path to getting there.
Whether we’re organizing in the streets, clearing pathways to education, stopping deportations, opening doors for LGBTQ immigrant youth, building innovative technology systems, or creating alliances across social movements, United We Dream puts undocumented immigrant youth in the driver’s seat. UWD is a fast paced, dynamic organization which has become a leading voice in social change.
We are driven by the priorities and needs of our members, have trained thousands of individuals, and have supported countless local organizing groups. Our grassroots driven approach has a proven record of accomplishment and we’re looking for talented folks to join our team!
We’re looking for a creative and visionary leader to manage all aspects of news and entertainment media relations, message development, marketing and development of UWD’s communications capacity. The Communications Director will supervise staff and consultant teams that are responsible for national communications, field communications as well as branding and public relations.
As a member of our senior staff, the successful candidate will participate in organizational and political strategy decision-making, and work well under pressure. She or he must be excited about the promise of the next generation of communicators, encouraging and developing new leaders to realize their potential.
We’re looking for someone who’s got great judgment and ready to seize media opportunities, who can imagine and execute creative bold strategies to get our message out. We welcome applicants with business backgrounds as well as non-profit and politics.
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position based in Washington, DC or New York, NY.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive communications strategy – including both long-term and rapid response projects – to advance the goals of our membership;
- Directly supervise a National Communications Manager, a Field Communications Manager, and Creative Manager to ensure that their respective teams meet their goals;
- Lead the formation and implementation of a new, multi-department communications team to meet the goals of United We Dream’s 2020 Vision Strategic Plan;
- Pitch high-level stories, field media inquiries and maintain relationships with reporters, editorial staff, columnists, bookers, hosts and bloggers;
- Manage the writing of press statements and releases, media advisories, talking points and background memos;
- Plan and support press events organized by United We Dream, affiliate groups and partners;
- Ensure that UWD’s affiliate groups have the needed support to be successful in media outreach and communications, to increase visibility and achieve their goals;
- Lead message development for UWD’s range of audiences;
- Contribute to the political strategic direction of the Network;
- Identify and train spokespeople for press events and interviews that are in both English and Spanish;
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with communications staff and lead volunteers of UWD affiliates and partners;
- Find opportunities to advance the interests of UWD members and programs through news, documentary, film and entertainment media;
- Ensure consistent messaging across all United We Dream communications platforms;
- Ensure that UWD message and brand reflect the artistic and cultural diversity of our membership;
- Manage UWD’s media relations technology suite
- Track news clips and continually assess and improve UWD’s impact in the media.
Abilities & Experience
- Excellent writing, speaking and interpersonal communications skills;
- At least five years of communications and relevant experience;
- At least three years of multi-staff management experience;
- Track record of success working with new and traditional media;
- Experience producing messaging for campaigns, and supporting materials;
- Training skills that inspire and develop new talent;
- Able to implement a rapid response communication strategy;
- Detail-oriented with the ability to manage multiple projects, holding self and others accountable to metrics and goals;
- Ability to work in a collaborative, fast-paced environment;
- Natural ability to build relationships, lead and train others;
- Ability to communicate fluently (written and spoken) in Spanish is a plus;
- Deeply committed to United We Dream’s mission, and an ability to balance a burning passion for justice with a good sense of humor;
- Experience with immigrant youth/immigrant rights organizing and advocacy preferred, but a passion for other progressive and human rights issues may also define the right candidate.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent preferred but not required
- Don’t think you meet all of these requirements or quite fit the ideals as described? This is a communications job – convince us why we should hire you anyway.
Please send the following to Jobs@DemocracyPartners.com:
- Cover letter, resume, and at least three writing samples as documents or online links;
- At least three professional references (references are not contacted until you’ve had a successful interview);
- Please send any salary requirements, history, range or expectations separately from other materials.
- No phone calls, please.