The Aspen Institute Financial Security Program (FSP) is dedicated to solving the most critical financial challenges facing America’s households, and to shaping policies and financial products that enable all Americans to save, invest, and own. Through its array of strategic convening, dialogues, briefings, and publications, the program builds consensus among industry, policymakers, and community leaders for breakthrough solutions that help hard working families become more resilient and successful in achieving long term financial goals such as education, homeownership, and retirement security.
Basic Function: Aspen FSP is seeking a communications intern who will work closely with staff to promote various FSP initiatives and programs through traditional and digital media. We are open to either a part-time or full-time intern able to start on May 1st.
Description of Internship: Aspen FSP seeks a talented, versatile, and energetic undergrad or graduate student to join our inter-disciplinary team. The intern will have several areas of responsibility, which may be tailored to fit individual interests and abilities including social networking, content creation and management, website and email editing, and execution of Aspen FSP events in DC.
The internship is structured as a 4-6-month position beginning in May of 2018. The ideal candidate will have a strong academic record as well as excellent writing skills, digital savvy, and attention to detail.
Knowledge, Education and Experience Sought:
- Working towards a degree in relevant field such as journalism or communication.
- Strong written and spoken communication skills; strong interpersonal skills.
- Independent self-starter, with strong attention to detail.
- Knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications.
- Interest in public policy and consumer finance issues a plus.
- Knowledge of WordPress CRM, Mailchimp, and/or Twitter a plus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Help staff in maintaining a compelling presence on the FSP and main Aspen Twitter accounts by creating social content and performing digital analytics analysis.
- Assist staff in developing and editing e-newsletters and blog entries.
- Assist staff in planning and promoting events by creating event and registration webpages, promotional emails, and social media toolkits.
- Help write, format, and send emails through our contact management system.
- Manage the contact database.
- Post new content to and update existing content on AspenFSP.org and AspenEPIC.org.
- Monitor the news for story opportunities, pitch stories to media, and develop and maintain press lists.
- Provide back-up and support to the FSP staff and execution of Aspen FSP events in DC and elsewhere.
Visit our career page at www.aspeninstitute.org/about/jobs and follow the instructions for uploading your cover letter and resume. All interested applicants must submit a cover letter, and resume. The cover letter should highlight applicant’s specific qualifications for this position. Applications without a cover letter will not receive consideration.