Fall 2017 Communications Internship Washington, DC
The League of American Bicyclists, a Washington DC-based advocacy organization representing the interests of the nation’s 57 million cyclists, is seeking a Communications Intern to support the League’s programs.
The Communications Intern will work in delivering written content, media and public relations, and magazine web publishing. The Communications Intern will assist in all aspects of social media and website presentation of the League of American Bicyclists’ programs.
Position Overview: The Communications Intern will have a unique opportunity to work firsthand with a national nonprofit. Work includes regular editing and writing for web and print communications (bikeleague.org, Bikeleague blog and social media accounts, and Bicycle Friendly America magazine), editing online resources and publications, outreach to partner organizations, and other general communications tasks.
This internship offers a flexible schedule with ~10 hours/week commitment for a minimum of 8 weeks, based at the League’s Washington, DC office. We are happy to work with any academic requirements you may have to help you earn course credit for your efforts.
Skills and Knowledge to be gained:
• Experience working with a great national, nonprofit with a rich history and awesome mission
• Hands-on work with municipalities, businesses, universities and advocacy organizations across North America
• Opportunity to build your design portfolio by creating new communications pieces
• Opportunity for variety of bylines in League communications and other media outlets
• Academic credit, by working with your academic program
• Strong attention to detail
• Excellent writing skills
• Familiarity with social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
• Aptitude with digital design tools like Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator
• Excellent time management skills
• Track record of working well on team projects • Enthusiasm for creating a more Bicycle Friendly America for everyone Helpful:
• Familiarity with bicycling and bicycling advocacy
• Familiarity with video production
• Familiarity with Drupal content management system
Hours: ~10 /week (flexible) Length/Availability: Minimum 8 weeks, with option to extend to Spring 2018. Location: Washington, DC (near Farragut Square) Stipend: $400-$500 per month, based on hours worked
How to Apply: Please send a cover letter of interest, writing sample, and resume to email@example.com with Fall 2017 Communications Intern Application in the subject line. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.