Communications Manager, Global Climate
The Communications Manager is responsible for helping design and execute strategic communications campaigns and media outreach strategies that support and further the goals of the Global Climate program. The Communications Manager will help carry out communications strategies for international, national and state-level public affairs campaigns; write, edit and promote content; establish and maintain strong relationships with targeted reporters; track, record, and prepare regular reports on communications efforts and media coverage; facilitate content approval; organize and maintain digital assets; develop and run blog and social media strategies; and advance experts’ thought leadership.
This position requires exceptional writing skills; a keen interest in environmental issues; and an ability to manage and prioritize at once multiple projects on a wide range of issues. An ideal candidate would also have experience in helping execute public affairs campaigns and be a native English speaker with fluency in Spanish. The Communications Manager will report to the Communications Director, Global Climate and coordinate closely on a day-to-day basis with staff in the Global Climate program.
- Work with Global Climate team to help implement communications strategies and tactics that advance the program’s goals.
- Develop, refine and promote content for policymakers and environmental and political journalists; this includes writing, editing and promoting to target audiences media statements, op-eds, blog posts, web pages and social media posts.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with targeted journalists, especially at outlets serving minority and environmental justice communities; work to take advantage of press opportunities; and get EDF experts included in relevant stories. This includes list building and media outreach (pitching); placing op-eds; and coordinating press conferences, one-on-one meetings with journalists, and editorial board meetings.
- Track, record, and prepare reports (weekly, monthly and quarterly) on communications efforts and media coverage.
- Facilitate program staff approval of content prepared by the Development, Membership and the Marketing & Communications departments, including for direct mail, EDF’s brand-level blog Voices, Digital Marketing Team, quarterly newsletter Solutions, and the Annual Report.
- Build and maintain digital files, including media lists, press clips, talking points, collateral, events and editorial calendar, photos, etc.
- Continually build skills among program staff to help achieve strong communications results through various channels (media, digital, speaking engagements, etc.).
- Create and execute blog strategy for the program’s “Climate Talks” blog.
- Develop and help implement thought leadership strategies for Global Climate experts.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum 6 years’ marketing/communications experience, preferably in a political or issue advocacy context; environmental experience is a plus. Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in public relations, journalism or a related field preferred, and may replace up to 2 years of experience.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills for media and policymaker audiences.
- Proven ability to use sophisticated public affairs strategies to achieve policy goals.
- Experience pitching and developing strong relationships with key journalists, and a track record of producing media coverage in international, national and diverse outlets.
- Experience training and guiding subject matter experts on media relations and social media.
- Knowledge of social media, blogging, and media database platforms (e.g. Cision and WordPress).
- Native English speaker; professional fluency in Spanish (writing, speaking, reading) preferred.
- Ability to work occasional non-standard hours, across time zones with a geographically dispersed team.
TO APPLY: CLICK HERE