FINCA International, one of the world’s leading microfinance institutions, provides financial services to nearly two million clients on five continents through wholly owned and operated subsidiaries in Africa, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East and Southern Asia.
The Content and Direct Marketing Volunteer/Intern (CDMV) will work as part of FINCA’s Marketing and Communications team. The Intern will receive insight into the dynamic microfinance sector and the operations of a large, professional nonprofit communications and fundraising department, which raises funds from a wide array of donors, from government agencies to corporations to major and small individual donors nationwide, as well as from Canada and the United Kingdom.
The CDMV will help draft and manage engaging content for FINCA’s website and social media platforms to create greater awareness on FINCA International’s global work. The CDMV will monitor and maintain FINCA’s social media accounts and help produce monthly and quarterly metrics reports on social media and web analytics.
The CDMV will also work on 1-2 projects in the fundraising area that the CDMV will own. Potential project areas include database administration, copy writing, or creative development and production. The CDMV will also provide administrative support to the team: preparing and editing communications with donors, conducting research on prospective or active donors, data entry, filing, calling donors to acknowledge large gifts, answering donor emails, checking the “do not mail” voicemail box and maintaining this list, data entry, drafting thank you notes, etc.
The CDMV also will become familiar with Raiser’s Edge, a donor database used by more than 13,000 nonprofits, Luminate, a comprehensive online fundraising system, and WordPress – one of the most used content management systems.
- Design and implement communications and direct marketing projects in the areas of social media outreach, database management, copy writing or creative content development and production.
- Prepare and edit strategic and targeted communications with FINCA donors and other constituencies supporting outreach efforts.
- Conduct donor research on prospective or active donors, log information in donor database ensuring data quality and integrity.
- Cultivate and connect with donors acknowledging donations.
- Perform other administrative tasks to support direct marketing outreach efforts.
- Gain insight into the dynamic microfinance sector and the operations of a large, professional communications and marketing department.
- Design and implement a marketing project while receiving direction and mentorship from a direct marketing expert.
- Learn marketing strategies and build effective communication skills through donor outreach efforts.
- Build data entry and data integrity experience using Raiser’s Edge (a donor database used by more than 13,000 nonprofits) and Luminate (a comprehensive online fundraising system).
Length of Assignment
- Spring 2017: January 2017 – June 2017
Time Commitment Required
Minimum of 15 hours per week preferred.
- Interest in international development, microfinance, communications, marketing and fundraising.
- Strong computer and internet research skills.
- Writing and editing skills.
- Database experience a plus.
- Social media management experience a plus.
- Graphic Design and Video editing skills a plus.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in progress
- Fluency in English required.
- Fluency in French, Spanish or Russian preferred.
- Proficiency in a full range of MS Office applications.
NBD, Global Marketing Communications, Human Resources, Information Services, Operations
To officially submit your application, please apply directly via FINCA’s career site.
*FINCA is willing to work with a candidate’s educational institution to support the fulfillment of academic credit requirements.
*This position in an unpaid volunteer opportunity.
*This position is not eligible for remote working.