United We Dream is a multi-ethnic immigrant youth-led organization committed to achieving dignity and humanity for all immigrants and people of color in the U.S by empowering, organizing, and developing our members’ leadership. We are building a sustainable grassroots movement by organizing and advocating at the local, regional, and national levels from a racial justice and intersectional analysis while also providing transformative leadership development, tools and resources to support our leaders and member organizations.
With a monthly online reach of 4 million, more than 300,000 members as well as 48 affiliates in 26 states, UWD is made up of fearless youth fighting to improve the lives of our members and their families. Our vision is a society which celebrates our diversity and believes in a multi-ethnic, intersectional path to getting there.
Whether we’re organizing in the streets, clearing pathways to education, stopping deportations, opening doors for LGBTQ immigrant youth, building innovative technology systems, or creating alliances across social movements, United We Dream puts undocumented immigrant youth in the driver’s seat. UWD is a fast paced, dynamic organization which has become a leading voice in social change.
We are driven by the priorities and needs of our members, have trained thousands of individuals, and have supported countless local organizing groups. Our grassroots driven approach has a proven record of accomplishment and we’re looking for talented folks to join our team!
UWD is looking for a mission-focused, experienced, strategic, and results-minded Development Director ready to successfully help the organization continue to achieve its rapid growth. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Director implements individual and institutional fundraising and other resource strategies, and oversees the development department’s day-to-day operation, including staff and donor tracking and management. The Development Director oversees the development and implementation, as well as needed adjustments of the organization’s annual fundraising strategy that includes cultivating, securing, and maintaining contributions from foundations and other institutions as well as small and major individual donations and helping develop other revenue-generating opportunities to ensure overall organizational network growth, diversity of income streams, and long-term sustainability. This is a full time, salaried, exempt position based in Washington, DC or New York, NY. We are willing to consider other locations for the right candidate.
- Drive Fundraising Strategy
- Create, track, and update the organization’s multi-year comprehensive development projections and plan across all lines of income (foundation, online and offline individual donors, and other income streams);
- Set annual and quarterly work plan priorities and goals for the department and for affiliate fundraising capacity development and training; and
- Lead development of fundraising strategy and research to identify new prospects for funding including state-specific funding for UWD and its affiliates.
- Foundation and Institutional Fundraising
- Maintain relationships with funders and a command of each current and prospective funder and their unique interests, priorities, and structures, as well as prepare and match asks accordingly;
- Oversee ongoing funder engagement and responsiveness, ensuring regular substantive updates to foundation supporters and prospects;
- Oversee foundation prospect implementation plan and timeline to meet multi-year development goals;
- Implement the proposal, report, and renewal process for each funder in collaboration with the Development Manager;
- Approve written products, including concept memos and proposal narratives, as well as high-quality reports tailored to each unique funder’s interests;
- Work with the Finance Department on the preparation of proposal budgets and to update fundraising progress in budget projections; and
- Implement institutional sponsorship strategy (for UWD Congress and other events) to engage businesses and other institutional partners.
- Individual Donors and Other Income
- Develop 10-year anniversary fundraising campaign to celebrate and grow UWD’s pool of grassroots and major donors;
- Partner with the digital team to optimize digital fundraising and create strategy for any offline cultivation of donors;
- Participate in inter-departmental team to assess the viability and development of structures for earned income revenue streams: including for UWD’s DreamConnect data base, Notifica app, and trainings in educational settings;
- Implement the individual major donor program, including identification, cultivation, solicitation, engagement, and stewardship of major donors; and
- Conceptualize grassroots fundraising goals and strategy for UWD and its affiliates, and coordinate activities in partnership with affiliates and digital and field departments.
- Development Operations Management and Supervision
- Oversee development operations, including donor data management systems that are essential to development strategies and planning;
- Supervise Development Department staff, including Development Manager and Grant Writer and others as operations grows; and
- Ensure leadership development plans of the development staff is carried out.
- At least 7 years of development experience at a $1M+ organization, including national foundation and major donor fundraising.
- At least 5 years of staff or department management experience, with experience delivering results through other staff or consultants
- Deeply committed to United We Dream’s mission and an ability to balance your burning passion for justice with a good sense of humor.
- Proven track-record of setting and adjusting smart, strategic and ambitious goals, achieving results, and particularly increasing organizational resources from year-to-year
- A creative approach about individual donors, ready to experiment, evaluate experiments, and build a strategy for bringing more individual donors and major donors into the organization.
- Born to market and sell with a manager, delegator, and coach mentality.
- Detail-oriented with a command for polished, metric-driven, beautiful, and relatable products.
- A diligent work planner with the ability to manage and sequence multiple projects on short and long-term deadlines, and to plan for the department labor it will take to get things done ahead of schedule.
- Ability to work in a collaborative, fast paced environment.
- Experience with immigrant youth/immigrant rights organizing and advocacy preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent preferred but not required.
TO APPLY Pease send a cover letter, resume and three writing samples to email@example.com, subject line: United We Dream – Development Director.