Director, Social Media
DEPARTMENT: Multi-platform Marketing and Content
STATUS: Regular, Full-time, Exempt
STATUS: Regular, Full-time, Exempt
The Director, Social Media develops strategic social media programs to support an expansive pipeline of programming to drive awareness, engagement, tune-in and streaming. The candidate will serve as an internal and external subject matter expert, working with internal cross-functional teams, and partnering with PBS station and producer social media/digital teams, as well as lead ongoing efforts to experiment and expand into new and emerging platforms. The Director of Social Media will have an understanding of best practices across relevant social channels such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Snapchat and other emerging platforms and will drive creative, rich and immersive storytelling within each social platform to garner the most engagement and activity. The candidate will provide recommendations to teams on overall social channel strategy, content development, content planning, optimization and roll-out.
- Proactively lead social media content planning initiatives for PBS, including social channel prioritization, social asset optimization/development recommendations (images, video content, stop motion, etc.), master PBS and program specific content and platform strategy, copy and messaging development, and reposting initiatives across PBS and partner social channels
- Working in conjunction with Senior Director and other team members, establish the PBS social media team as a Center of Excellence internally, as well as a resource to producer and station partners to push the boundaries of social content and innovation
- Lead communications efforts with station and producing partners by proactively posting information and best practices via closed Facebook groups, emails, and in person presentations
- Work with media teams and outside agencies on providing recommendations around paid social amplification of social content and provide POV on organic and paid content promotion
- Collaborate with internal and external creative teams on the planning, creation and roll-out of immersive social assets native to each social platform
- Plan, monitor, strengthen, and maintain presences on PBS’ key social media channels (e.g. Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, Tumblr); seek and lead new opportunities for PBS social media outposts and experimentation.
- In conjunction with social media team, assist with and oversee on-site/event/in-production social media strategies and execution at major events, conferences, meetings, and other public activities.
- Develop company-wide social media efforts and strategies to drive engagement, exposure, tune-in, and fan evangelism, in addition to providing support for all of our priority programs’ social media efforts.
- Review and analyze data (i.e. growth patterns) from PBS’s social media marketing and measurement services; work with social media team to help set goals based on the current data; and use data to formulate strategies that increase engagement and exposure for all of PBS’ social media outlets.
- In conjunction with social media team members, partner with teams throughout PBS to support major social media initiatives. This includes bolstering work supporting social media efforts and experimentation at local stations.
- In conjunction with social media team, lead station support for social media via webinars and workshops.
- Help develop social media guidelines and playbooks to help educate internal stakeholders, partners and stations on best practices
- Perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- 8-10 years of digital or social media marketing and/or communications experience
- Successful track record in managing social media accounts for high-profile organizations
- Experience with business, strategy, and campaign development
- Background in social asset development and creative planning; experience in art direction a plus
- Working knowledge and understanding of social media and monitoring suite suppliers
MINIMUM EDUCATION/TRAINING REQUIRED:
- Bachelor degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, or related field
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- In-depth familiarity with online and social media marketing best practices and algorithms, and ability to communicate them to various internal and external audiences
- Ability to remain creative, diplomatic, calm under pressure
- Ability to work collaboratively in a cross-functional department, and to foster communication and collaboration internally and externally
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Ability to take initiative and act proactively