Trash Free Maryland is a nonprofit organization working to implement long-term solutions to trash pollution in Maryland’s neighborhoods and waterways. We organize coalitions of partners to support advocacy campaigns and use research and data to advise local, state, and federal decision makers on policies and programs to address litter and plastic pollution. Trash Free Maryland was founded in 2010 and is now on the cusp of transformative growth.
We are seeking a full-time Program Associate to support current projects and help develop our capacity as the region’s leading advocate on trash and litter policy. The associate will support the Executive Director across organizational functions and lead special projects to help advance the Trash Free Maryland mission. The ideal candidate will be able to grow into a subject matter expert who can work with a team to develop and execute policy concepts, campaign strategies, and outreach tactics.
- Assist in development and implementation of advocacy campaigns, including policy development, campaign planning, grassroots organizing, and relationships with elected officials
- Lead in research activities, including tracking policy and program best practices
- Assist in education and outreach projects such as the Chesapeake Bay Trash Trawl and classroom presentations
- Assist with web content development and social media
- Attend and participate in community meetings
- Contribute to grant management, donor relations, and fundraising events
- Administrative support
- The position requires travel (mostly within Maryland) and some evening and weekend hours.
Skills & Characteristics
- Familiarity with environmental policy and Maryland government, or a strong equivalent
- Strong oral and written communications skills, including comfort and experience with public speaking
- Ability to tackle multiple tasks in a timely and effective manner
- Self-directed, flexible, and comfortable working in an entrepreneurial context
- Access to a reliable vehicle is a must
- Education or work experience in law, public health, community development, or community engagement preferred
Salary & Benefits
- Salary is in the range of $40,000-50,000, commensurate with experience.
- We currently offer paid vacation, sick days, and holidays, and reimbursement for health insurance and phone. As we are growing, we expect to add benefits in the near future.
- We do not have an office so the associate will work remotely at this time. Travel to out-of-town appointments will be reimbursed.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please send a resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Program Associate” in the subject line of the email.
Trash Free Maryland provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, or disability in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Trash and litter negatively affect people of all walks of life. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to help us support the entire community.