Thank you for your interest in becoming a contributor to The Blur, our online magazine! We’re on the lookout for writers who are interested in sharing knowledge about the role marketing, communication, fundraising and journalism play in fostering social change with our readers. Writing for The Blur is one of the easiest ways to become involved with the Center while elevating your own thought leadership.
Who may write for The Blur?
We’re looking for writers who have a passion for the power marketing, communication, fundraising and journalism can play in helping solve some of the world’s most pressing issues. We want writers who can both educate and inspire with their articles. Specifically, writers may be:
- Georgetown University students or alumni, across schools and degrees
- Social impact professionals working within the nonprofit, CSR, cause marketing or government sectors
- Professors and teachers at any academic institution
What format should I follow and how long should my article be?
Submissions may be as few as 250 words and as many as 2,000. Articles may fall under one of the following formats:
- Case Study
- Practitioner or Organization Profile
- Book Review
- Op-Ed or Opinion Piece
- Career Development or Advice Piece
Bonus Points: We particularly love when writers incorporate findings from our research into their articles.
What is the commitment level?
That’s up to you! Only have time to write a one-off article? Perfect. Want to go deeper into a topic that interests you and write a series of articles? Then we’d love to hear from you–pitch us your idea.
What’s the benefit of writing for The Blur?
We want to ensure that the experience of writing for The Blur is beneficial to our contributors. Here are some of the benefits:
- Promotion: We will promote your article throughout our social media and external platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter and our newsletter to extend the reach of your post. Through these channels, your article will be shared with thousands of social impact professionals.
- Credibility: Being affiliated with the Center lends credibility to your articles.
- Portfolio-building: We provide a platform for you to explore your big ideas while building a strong portfolio of work.
How do I submit my idea or article?
Email our team at email@example.com. You may either submit an article in full or send us a brief “pitch” about your idea for a writing assignment. Be sure to include a short professional biography and a recent photo with all submissions.
Please note: We reserve the right to make all final editorial decisions. As an academic institution, we do not accept submissions that are promotional in tone or purpose.