International Center for Research on Women (ICRW) has been the premier applied research institute focused on women and girls for the last four decades. ICRW works with partners to conduct empirical research, build capacity, and advocate for evidence-based practical solutions to change policies and programs. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., and with regional offices in South Asia and Africa, ICRW conducts research to inform policies and programs seeking to alleviate poverty, promote gender equality and protect the rights of women and girls. Corporations, foundations, governments and civil society organizations partner with ICRW to discover through rigorous research how to dismantle barriers and help women and girls achieve their full potential. ICRW’s focal areas include gender-based violence, healthy transitions to adulthood, economic empowerment, HIV/AIDS, and sexual and reproductive health and rights.
At ICRW, we believe that research can and should be a process of social development, and we employ participatory methods when appropriate. Further, ICRW pursues intersectional research to the greatest extent possible. All research we undertake serves to advance ICRW’s mission of improving the status of women and girls, promoting gender equality, and eradicating poverty.
The Senior Communications Specialist manages ICRW’s daily external relations, including the promotion of ICRW’s expertise, experts and research and in support of ICRW’s advocacy efforts. The Senior Communications Specialist oversees ICRW’s online presence, including the public website and digital communications such as the organization’s social media profiles and marketing emails, including e-newsletters, ICRW in the news, new reports and analysis, and writes and edits website content about ICRW research and activities. The Senior Communications Specialist is also responsible for media relations, including responding to press inquiries, pitching reports, expertise and analysis to relevant reporters, and tracking and monitoring media hits. This position reports to the Director of Global Communications.
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public policy, international affairs or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
Six (6) years related professional experience required, four years (4) with masters degree.
- Executes online communications strategies, leveraging ICRW’s online platforms to raise visibility, increasing web traffic and growing online communities.
- Increases ICRW’s visibility through media outreach, including pitching stories, mapping strategic media targets and cultivating relationships with key journalists and bloggers.
- Drafts press releases, media advisories, and pitch emails to reporters to ensure accurate coverage of ICRW’s reports, data, and analysis. Responds to press inquiries and works with researchers on press interviews. Helps write/edit and pitch opinion pieces and blogs on behalf of research staff.
- Manages ICRW’s editorial calendar. Drafts and sends marketing and fundraising materials, ‘news’ stories about ICRW research, projects and advocacy work.
- Manages ICRW’s website. Writes and edits website content, including news stories, blogs, project updates, and more.
- Works closely with research and programs staff to ensure projects are represented on the website, projects have a streamlined, clear communications plan and helps plan and execute project/report dissemination strategy.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Able to manage multiple competing priorities and deadlines
- Knowledge of international development, economic and global health issues
- Strong social media engagement skills using channels such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Experience writing and editing fact sheets, reports and publications for a variety of audiences.
- Experience working with the media, including pitching OpEds, experts and reports.
- Experience managing and executing online marketing campaigns
- Experience managing and updating WordPress websites
- Some knowledge of graphic resource management, including editing photos, create graphics and edit web pages using Adobe Creative Suite Web Premium.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience with managing a content management system
- Proficient with HTML
- Familiarity with Salesforce and MailChimp
- Ability to measure web trends using tools such as Google Analytics, Google Webmaster Tools and Google Adwords
- Knowledge of online marketing techniques including best practices for SEO and SEM
- Some journalism, graphic design and/or photography experience
Please visit the ICRW careers website; interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample.
Due to the large volume of responses we receive, ICRW is not able to provide candidacy status on an individual basis. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. ICRW is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V.